So I have added a blog to this site, in case anyone finds it and wants to know what is happening. I have been working on the site and updated schematic/board layouts (moving on from release 1.0 boards). Already I have many ideas to make better and lower cost release 2.0 PCB designs, also looking to release the next versions of current boards when I have built them with tweaks/errors fixed. I have been costing up components to build up 2 of each of the 5 board designs I have. It is expensive, I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but its more than I want.
I have some ideas to reduce/simplify the power supply section of each board, which will reduce cost. For some reason during design I ended up with a mixture of some diodes/capacitor types/values/sizes instead of sticking with one or two parts.
Release 1.0 boards have arrived today. See photos at the bottom. Already spotted some mistakes such as ground stitching vias that are not connect to ground. I intend to build up two versions of these, one as in the schematics (current regulators/power supply arrangement), and a simplified set of boards for cost reduction.
Currently I have no "professional" way to measure the performance of anything I build (i.e. no access to some fancy audio precision or dscope). I do have a decent external sound card that should give me some reasonable measurements when I get something working. Technically this has lower specs than the DAC used here, but I would be happy if I get anywhere close at this stage.
An electronics engineer and a long term electronics hobbyist. I like tinkering with stuff and making things.